Maternity DNA testing determines whether a woman could be the biological mother of a child. Like a DNA paternity test, it compares a child’s DNA pattern with that of the alleged mother to determine how likely it is that the child has inherited the DNA from the alleged mother.
Maternity test results may be used in the following circumstances:
- To confirm that an adoptee has been reunited with his/her birth mother
- To prove biological relationships in an immigrationcase.
- To confirm that an embryo conceived through in vitro fertilization was implanted into the correct mother
- To resolve situations in which mothers or hospital staff suspect that a baby mix-up has occurred in the nursery
Our Lab leads the DNA testing industry in its quality of service, which focuses on ensuring DNA test accuracy as well as a smooth experience for our clients. For all our DNA paternity testing clients, we:
- Follow the most stringent procedures to guarantee accurate and conclusive results.
- Complete testing in 2 working days (5 working days for a prenatal test).
- Maintain confidentiality of each case using strict communication protocols.
DNA Test Participants
In a maternity test, the child, alleged mother, and biological father are tested. The father’s participation in the maternity test helps to exclude half of the child’s DNA, leaving the rest for comparison with the alleged mother. If the father is not available, we can perform a fatherless test, which involves additional analysis, without additional charge.
DNA Collection Kit
Collecting the DNA sample is quick and painless. We will send you a DNA sample collection kit. The kit will contain the following:
- Complete instructions for collecting the DNA samples
- Buccal swabs and swab envelopes for the child, alleged mother, and father (if participating)
- Business return envelope for shipping the samples back to the laboratory
When will my results be ready?
Once our laboratory has received all the tested parties’ samples, we will complete the test within 5-7 working days.
How will I receive my results?
First-class mail is our primary method of sending paternity test results. To protect our patients’ privacy, we send the results in a plain envelope that is not marked with our company name or logo.
What do the results look like, and how do I interpret them?
A paternity test result includes a table that lists:
- The allele sizes of the different DNA markers examined and used in the statistical analysis portion of the test (i.e., the DNA profile)
- A Probability of Paternity value
- A Combined Paternity Index (CPI) value
You will want to focus on the Probability of Paternity. A result of 0% means the alleged father is not the biological father; a result of 99.99% or higher means the alleged father is the biological father
. The CPI value represents the odds against another random, untested male in the population having the same results as the tested man.
*Residents of CA, MD, NY States require the testing to be ordered by a licensed healthcare provider in your state. Please include a prescription for testing when sending in your sample.